Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Why the MLB?

I have chosen Major League Baseball for multiple reasons. In terms of my Senior Seminar class, I choose it because of its crises that it is currently dealing with. Another reason is that baseball is my favorite sport to watch and follow. My favorite team is the New York Mets and I will try my best to stay unbiased throughout this blog. Although, right now I don't have too many positive things to say about the Mets and could have probably done a blog just on the problems the Mets have been facing....of which they are responsible for putting themselves into. But anyway, lets stick to the topic, Major League Baseball. Most of this blog will focus on the on-going steroid scandal. We will cover who has been involved, the effects it has had on the performance of the game, the effects it has had on the validity of the game and the effects that it poses for the future of the MLB.

Before we get in over our heads, let me provide you a brief history and background of Major League Baseball. Founded in 1869, Major League Baseball is the highest level of professional baseball in the world. Currently there are 30 teams that play each other for a 162 games a piece individually. In 2005, of the 30 teams the average team value was $367 million. In short, we are dealing with a corporation that not only is extremely successful monetarily, but has millions of people physically attending baseball games every season.

No comments:

Post a Comment